Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Chapter One: He's home

He surprised me three days early. It was a nice surprise, however I hadn't had time to clean the house and grocery shop and otherwise eliminate the evidence of my single girl life style. But none the less I was happy to see him.

This is my first blog. I am nervous. Who will read this? Will anyone read it? I think EB White had the right idea when he wrote this:

"The essayist is a self-liberated man, sustained by the childish belief that everything he thinks about, everything that happens to him, is of general interest. He is a fellow who thoroughly enjoys his work, just as people who take bird walks enjoy theirs. Each new excursion of the essayist, each new "attempt," differs from the last and takes him into new country. This delights him. Only a person who is congenitally self-centered has the effrontery and the stamina to write essays."

About me: I wear stained Carrharts, clear Mabeline Mascara, and Channel Lip Gloss. I am a graduate of a Maritime Academy in the Northeast. My husband "ships out" which means he goes to work on a boat for extended periods of time. I stay at home.

The intention of this blog is write about my unusual lifestyle for the entertainment and benefit of others, as well as to provide a creative outlet for my literary self. You will find many spelling errors and even more grammatical errors. I have my writers Harbrace on the desk and each mistake you point out I will gladly learn from.

Back to being a Seawife: He is away for 28 days at a time and home for 28 days. Now, I fully realize that this is NOTHING compared to what some seawives endure. Many in the Merchant Marine ship out for 4 to 6 months at a time. Furthermore, there are wives of those in the US Military who are gone for an unspecified amount of time with greater risk and probably less cash. ( I won't get into the war at this point, as I'm sure there are thousands of other blogs which cover that.)
However, our situation is still far from normal and as EB White so eloquently said above, I am certain everyone else is interested.
This is it, the first entry. Thank you for reading, tune in for the ride anytime.

4 comments:

Mage said...

Welcome. I'm facinated by lifestyles, and I love blogging. It will be a pleasure to return to visit again. Mage.......

Mermama said...

I'm a seawife, too. Mine's gone all summer working Vessel Assist in the San Juan Islands off Washington State. Blogging is a way to fill the boredom. Welcome to the bloglife!

Dan said...

Interesting to read it from the other perspective - being a sailor I often wonder if we have the good end of the bargain, world travel and adventure while my poor wife has nappies and the school run!

Time Travelers Wife said...

Hi Sea Wife

Well done you! I'm glad another seawife is blogging. My husband is about to leave on a two month trip leaving me with our three small children. Of course we'll miss him like mad, but that's what I get for marrying a sailor and absence makes the heart grow fonder?

I tend to write random nonsense in my blog, mainly because it cheers me up (and maybe even puts smiles on others faces?)

Keep up the blogging!